Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sewing Up A Storm

Last time I got together with my daughters, we went to a quilt shop and they each selected material. Laura wanted a beach bag and Pam wanted a quilt.

This is Laura's bag. I had enough material left that I also made her a beach throw. It's the first project that I've attempted that is completely mine - from design to quilting. It's big enough for two people to sit on or one to throw over a chaise lounge. I finished it in time to give it to her on my recent trip back to visit.

After finishing Laura's project, I made market bags - LOTS of market bags. I took 6 with me and gave them to family. Each one has at least one huge pocket and reinforced handles. I cut up plastic cutting mats (Dollar Tree - 2 for $1) to put in the bottom.

This is the start of Pam's quilt. She loves orange - so this should be perfect for her when it is done! The pattern is a French Braid with separator bands. I'm doing 5 braid runs so it will be big enough for her queen-sized bed.

Our feeders keep busy with lots of House Finches and Lesser Goldfinches - and an occasional Black-capped Chickadee.

Our flowers are beautiful.

...and so was this visitor.

Bill and I headed up into the mountains to escape the heat here in Colorado Springs. Salida was hosting the annual kayak festival on the Arkansas River.

Just watching them cooled us off!

These children were all lined up waiting for the music to begin.

We came home over Wilkerson Pass with one of the most beautiful views in Colorado. Yes, that's snow in the mountains.

Palmer Park is one of our favorite places to hike - and as we walk, the sounds of the Towhees are everywhere. This one was singing like there's no tomorrow!

The view of Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods and downtown Colorado Springs from up in the park.

...and another view looking through the cactus.

No comments: