Monday, July 9, 2012

Not-so-lazy Sunday in Colorado

The heat and smoke finally abated enough that we returned to Palmer Park to hike and check on a couple of our geocaches. It was a beautiful morning and we walked for a couple of hours before breakfast. We spotted 4 deer - two bucks just ahead of us on the trail and two does that ran by and startled me enough that I didn't even try to grab my camera. The bucks didn't seem to mind us watching them and even came closer as we stood near by.


Check out his ears!


Later in the day we headed east of town so Bill could watch some of his friends fly their glider planes. I tagged along so I could do a little birding.

I could hear the Meadowlarks singing.


I have trouble identifying hawks. I think this is a Swainson's Hawk, but I'm not positive. I went back and forth between the Ferruginous and the Swainson's and decided on the latter. If you know your hawks, please correct me!





Spotted Towhee
Western Kingbirds are fairly common east of town. Occasionally I see one along the trails in town, but we've never had one in the yard. Pretty birds.

Western Kingbird
Tomorrow I hop on a plane for Rochester, NY to visit my sister and attend a Ricky Tims quilting seminar. Beth volunteered us to take pictures so my camera is packed. I'm really looking forward to it!

No comments: