Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Bird-hive of Activity

Before we left Florida, Bill crashed his T-28 RC plane when his radio malfunctioned. He looked so sad and forlorn when he came home holding the pieces that I didn't have the heart to say - "Hold on for just a second while I get pictures." He had to send his radio back to the factory for repairs so has not been able to fly here in Colorado - and I have not been able to get him out of my hair long enough to blog. Today he is off for the whole morning - so I am playing catch up!

Our backyard has been a bird-hive of activity - under the watchful, ever-present eye of Mr. Squirrel. We've seen several color variations of Black-eyed Junco, Blue Jay, Scrub Jay, House Sparrow, Robin, House Finch, Lesser Goldfinch, Black-billed Magpie, European Starling, American Crow, Black-capped and Mountain Chickadee, Northern Flicker, Downy Woodpecker, American Tree Sparrow, and, I'm sure, other birds that we haven't identified. They like the berries in the bushes, the feeders and the seed that drops on the ground (unless, of course, Mr. Squirrel is having his supper).

The Western Scrub Jays are noisy, but beautiful birds.

On one of our walks in Palmer Park, I could not resist taking yet another picture of beautiful Pikes Peak. We did not see too many birds, and could not walk on my favorite trail because of the snow and mud - but had a nice (but cold) outing anyway.

Another Scrub Jay keeping a watchful eye on the surrounding open spaces in the park. We saw lots of other walkers - and lots of dogs - out in the sun and cold air. One large dog in particular took one look at me and came running and barking. I, of course, froze in terror. The owner couldn't imagine what happened - her dog NEVER acted that way. Once she got hold of him, I explained that I was afraid of dogs and they instinctively sense my fear. His reaction is common around me - unfortunately.

Back at the house, the Starlings were waiting for the perfect opportunity to raid the bird feeders. They may be nasty, piggy-eaters - but look at how their feathers shine in the sun!

This guy was enjoying the blue berries on the tree - but looked up long enough for me to get this picture.

The Downy Woodpeckers are here year-round - unlike Bill and I who are looking forward to our migration back to sunny Florida next week.

No comments: