Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pensacola Naval Air Station

The first stop on our cross-country journey from Ocala to Colorado Springs was the Pensacola Naval Air Station - home of the Blue Angles. We had reservations at one of the Navy Lodges, but it was too early to check in so we headed to their world class aviation museum. There we learned that it was the 100th anniversary of Naval Aviation and it was being celebrated by an air show. The Blue Angles were scheduled to fly for one hour beginning at 12 noon. I looked at my watch and was disappointed to see that we had missed most of the show: my watch said 12:45 PM. We went to the field anyway so I could get a glimpse - and maybe a picture.

Sure enough, when we arrived at the viewing field the Blue Angles were not flying. I was crushed until I realized we were in the CENTRAL TIME ZONE - and the show was scheduled to begin any minute!

The Blue Angles are the US Navy's flight demonstration squadron, flying F/A-18 Hornets that have been modified for precision flight.

Look how close they came to each other as they crossed paths! I had only one chance to get this shot and was thrilled that I nailed it!

Check this out: the front plane is upside down!

Planes #1, #2, #3 & #4 - all lined up.

Do you think they did this on purpose - just so I could get this shot?

Oops, I digress - but couldn't resist this beautiful Pelican.

All six of the planes in formation. There were actually two #4 planes as both #5 planes were grounded.

Look how close they are!

Amazing!

Coming out of their cloud of smoke. This show was wow, Wow, WOW! I loved it and can't believe we saw it by chance. Our timing this trip started out great - and it got even better!

No comments: