Friday, December 24, 2010

Harns Marsh

We always enjoy visiting Harns Marsh in Lehigh Acres. While Warren and Bill power-walked the 5 miles around, Beth and I took our time (and lots of pictures!) meandering around the upper ponds - meeting the boys about a mile from where we parked. There was lots to see and Beth added several birds to her life list.

This Roseate Spoonbill was just magnificent! The yellow head and dark pink wing indicates it is a mature (breeding) adult. They, like the Wood Storks in my last post, have beautiful bodies and rather ugly bald heads.

And talking about ugly heads - look at these Black Vultures.

There were THOUSANDS of Tree Swallows flying around. I've never seen so many - and they are almost impossible for me to photograph as they are never still. I was thrilled when some landed so at least I had a fighting chance to get a picture...

...or two

...or a hundred.

We saw this Osprey as we were leaving. Check out his fish!

This is a Greater Yellowlegs. When Beth and I saw it, we didn't know whether it was a Greater or Lesser Yellowlegs, but she consulted her Stokes Field Guide to Birds and properly identified it for her blog - giving credit to her reference. After posting her entry, she was thrilled to get a comment from birding authorities, Don and Lillian Stokes, the authors of the field guide!

Just a couple of neighbors hanging around discussing politics.

I think I see this photogenic Tricolored Heron every time I visit Harns Marsh.

This was one of Beth's sightings - an American Bittern. I saw one on my last trip, but this one was closer.


What a beautiful place!

No comments: