Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Walk in the Woods

What a beautiful day for a walk in the woods! Bill and I hiked the Johnson Pond Trail in the Withlacoochee State Forest - about 12 miles down the road from OTOW.

This is the most beautiful Robin I have ever seen. I couldn't get over how bright orange his chest was! He and his friends were enjoying the berries.

The Tufted Titmice are the cutest birds! We have quite a few in the Live Oak tree in front of the house. They take turns coming to the feeders for sunflower seeds.

I wish we had more woodpeckers in the yard. I think this Downy is smaller than the ones we have in Colorado.

There were lots and lots of little birds flitting around in the trees including this common Palm Warbler.

Bill spotted these deer just off to the right of the trail as it looped around.

I think this is a Northern Harrier. He and a friend were flying over the pond. There is a nice observation deck overlooking the pond about half-way around the 2.6 mile loop.

Another hawk - probably a Red-shouldered. After our hike we stopped at Subway for a sandwich and huge drink of Diet Coke.

No comments: