Saturday, April 21, 2012

Metro Parkway - Again!

My sister Beth arrived on Thursday and we couldn't wait to take her to the new birding place we recently discovered. She barely had time to change into her shorts before Bill was explaining the "here after." She didn't want to be "here after we were gone" so she was quick!

It was a beautiful afternoon and the birds were everywhere!

Osprey
We don't see as many Osprey in Ocala, so it's nice to see so many here in Fort Myers. This one was searching the water below for fish.

He kept circling back and forth,

and then seemed to stop mid-air,

before taking a drastic turn downwards,

plunging into the water,

and grabbing a fish.

Off he went with his prize!

Roseate Spoonbill
The Roseate Spoonbills are such a treat!

White Pelican
Isn't it time for the White Pelicans to head north? They DO fly north, don't they?

Wood Stork
I wonder if the Wood Stork likes his reflection.

Lesser Yellowlegs
When we were at Harns Marsh, I saw what I decided was a Greater Yellowlegs. When I saw this one I assumed it was the same - but after looking at the pictures more closely, I think it's a Juvenile Lesser Yellowlegs. Feel free to correct me.

Black-necked Stilt
Another Black-necked Stilt. This was a new life bird for my sister.

Anhinga drying his wings

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret
 Beautiful, just beautiful.

Least Sandpiper
This is a great birding spot and since it's so close, I'm sure we'll stop again. (and again...)

No comments: