Saturday, May 15, 2010

Right On Schedule

The Western Tanagers are one of the prettiest birds we see in our yard. As I noted in my last blog - we've been on the look-out for them. In past years, we've seen them around the middle of May and they stay for about a week.

Sure enough, we had out first sighting yesterday, and today, he has been playing hide-and-seek with me every time I get the camera out. I have a couple of dozen pictures of his various body parts - but this one is the first picture of his whole body.

When I first spotted this bird at the feeder - I thought it was a Goldfinch. I now realize it is probably the female Western Tanager as they arrive and leave at the same time. So far, we have only seen the one pair so I don't know if any more will arrive to dazzle us with their striking colors or not. They are always the highlight of our birding month.

No comments: