Sunday, June 2, 2013

Out & About

Bill and I try to get plenty of exercise. I take a water aerobics class twice a week while Bill goes to the flying field, we're busy in the yard and we walk/hike/bird as often as possible. You'd think we be nice and thin - but our other passion is food. Bill cooks and I eat.

We didn't have to go far to see this juvenile Black-headed Grosbeak - he was right in the back yard!

An adult male Black-headed Grosbeak was close by.

The weather has been warm but extremely windy the last few days. Bill took this shot of Pikes Peak from the flying field (which here in Colorado Springs is the parking lot and yard of a local church). The snow is slowly melting.

 We've had several Spotted Towhees in the yard and we also see them in Palmer Park.

We've been back to Fountain Creek Nature Center. It's a great place to walk. The 2-mile loop is fairly flat for Colorado and passes through woods and by water. A Downy Woodpecker was busy looking for insects.

I wasn't sure what this was but I posted the picture on a Colorado Birding website and it was identified as a House Wren. I thought the wings and tail looked Wren-like, but the position of the tail and straight beak had me stumped.

 There were dozens of Yellow Warblers flitting around in the tree tops and positive identification is absolutely no challenge!

I've decided this is an Olive-sided Flycatcher but I'm open to other opinions.

 Belted Kingfishers are always fun to watch - but they are terrible to photograph. This was the best I could do with the sun shinning in our eyes.

More Yellow Warblers.

Today we headed to the Eastern Plains to see Bill's grandson play baseball. Afterwards we drove around. Even though we were only about 25 miles from home, we saw completely different birds on the Prairie.

This is a Horned Lark showing us how he got his name.

Where there is a wire or a fence, there is a Western Kingbird.

I hope no one was watching us when we spotted this guy - a Lark Bunting. He refused to stay still and we kept backing up the car, turning around, backing up again and turning sideways hoping for a decent shot. We followed him for about 20 minutes - and this was the best I could do.

But, the picture is good enough to check another bird off our list!

No comments: