Sunday, May 31, 2015

Birds of the Plains

Bill and I headed east to find another RC car track. We didn't have any luck with the track so we detoured onto some side roads to see what we could see.


We drove right past this Scaled Quail perched on a fence post and Bill had to back up so I could get a picture.


This Horned Lark seems to be advertising his wares. We have lots of these birds just east of the city and they have a beautiful song.


Another lark and another beautiful singer - a Western Meadowlark with what looks like lunch in his mouth.


In the grasses they are much harder to see.


The Western Kingbirds are easy to find. They perch on the fences along the roads.


Yes, this picture was really taken yesterday - May 30. This is not snow - it is hail!


This is a white-tailed jackrabbit also known as a prairie hare.


Check out those ears!!


Isn't this hawk beautiful? It is a Swainson's Hawk and we saw quite a few on our ride. They were all perched high on telephone poles.


They must have had quite a hail storm out here. It looked like this in an area about a mile square. The storm was the previous afternoon and I took this picture around noon the next day.


We also checked out a new birding spot here in the city - Stinson's Pond. I'm hoping this is an Olive-sided Flycatcher.


And I believe this is a Western Wood Pewee. I'm not positive on either of these identifications.


I do know this one - it's a Spotted Towhee!


Back in our yard, we continue to see the Western Tanagers - but not in the numbers we saw earlier in the month.


One of our faithful American Robins.


Just as I sat down for one of Bill's fabulous dinners, this female Black-headed Grosbeak landed on the feeders. I should have gone outside for a better picture - but dinner was too good to leave. Bill made a to-die-for broccoli salad. He used local honey instead of white sugar in the dressing. YUM!


I'm still working on my Amish With a Twist project. It's a good thing I bought this as a kit with the material included because I would NEVER put these colors together. I'm not sure yet whether I like it. It actually looks better in the picture.

No comments: