Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Colorado Birds, A New Quilt Beginning and a Naughty Squirrel

  I love this time of year in Colorado. Actually, let me clarify: I love the migrating birds, but I hate the chilly, rainy weather. I want to sit outside to watch the birds and not take pictures through a window. Oh well. All the feeders are up as well as the birdbath and Bill has the waterfalls in the pond up and running - so more birds are stopping for a visit.


The Mountain Chickadees delight us all summer long. Happy little birds!


Every year we hope the Western Tanagers will stay around, but they don't. I'm happy to have so many for the couple of weeks they stay.


This was a special treat - a Black-chinned Hummingbird.


Lousy picture, but look at that beautiful neck.


Usually the Bushtits arrive in a large group and quickly move through but this year we have had one who seems to be sticking around.


No this Horned Lark was not in the yard. We spotted him at the new RC Car Track Bill found.


We have lots of American Goldfinches who must have followed us home from Florida. We usually only see one or two this time of year...


...but the trees have been decorated with them the past couple of days. The Lesser Goldfinches have just started arriving.


As usual, we have more than our share of House Finches.


Pretty American Goldfinch.


We have two kinds of jays - Blue Jays and Scrub Jays. This is a Blue Jay.


I can't help it - we love the Western Tanagers!


This is an unusual House Finch. It is a male, probably first year, with yellow-orange coloring.


 We've seen the mature male Bullock's Oriole several times. This is a younger male with the black bib and black cap. Yes, that's rain in the picture.


He likes the blossoms on our bushes.


I don't spend ALL my time looking at the birds. I've started a new quilt - Amish with a Twist. It was initially a block-of-the-month and I'm working on the first installment. This is 2 of the first 12 squares.


I'm having a running battle with the squirrels. I heard that cayenne pepper will keep them away. See how good it works?

No comments: