Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year in Paradise

Bill and I headed over to Sanibel and the Ding Darling Nature Preserve this afternoon while the "kids" prepared dinner for us.

We were surprised to see Wood Storks as we read that they had returned to Corkscrew Swamp to nest. They need to find a place with enough fish to support a growing family. Bill read that each offspring requires 400 pounds of fish before they go out on their own.

There were Roseate Spoonbills - but not in the numbers we had seen on earlier visits.

The White Pelicans were still there.

The estuaries are really quite beautiful. This is what I call "Pelican Island."

Another Ahinga (or Piano Bird) airing his wings. These birds are also called
"snake birds" because when they are in the water with just their heads poking out they look like snakes.

I thought these fish were interesting. They were digging a hole in the sandy bottom of the canal - I assume to lay their eggs.

I took this picture of a turtle - but I think the reflection looks pretty cool.

I tried to take a picture of a spider web and spider - but got my own reflection.
This family found a baby horseshoe crab and the parents were giving the kids a mini-lesson in nature - encouraging them to find other things.

Bill sauntering back to the car.

No comments: