Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Roses

Today was an ugly, drab & drizzly, cloudy & chilly day. Bill's mother, sister, Terry and family joined us for a delicious lunch - but we had to eat inside, and even had a fire in the fireplace to take the chill off the cold, damp air.

Between rain drops (more of a light mist actually) Terry went outside to see our roses. She called me outside and said to bring my camera.

The mist had transformed the roses into exotic, shimmering living pieces of art. They almost look artificial - but I have not enhanced these pictures - just cropped them a bit.

The rain drops highlighted the colors.

Even the leaves were beautiful.

Please click on any of these images to see a larger picture.

What a beautiful yellow - especially against the green leaves in the background.

After our company left and headed back to Denver, we took a short drive to Falcon and Peyton - east of the city. This beautiful Swainson's Hawk was sitting on a fence post on the side of the road.

I wanted him to turn around so I could get his beautiful rusty-colored breast in the picture - but he did not cooperate.



















Home, home on the range,
Where the deer and the antelope play,
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word,
And the skys are not cloudy all day.

This is the antelope from the song we all sang as children. When my sister came to visit in 2007, she saw antelope for the first time. This is what she wrote in her blog:

"the herd I saw at the side of the road were antelope (as in deer and antelope play). For some strange reason, it never occurred to me that there was an actual animal called an antelope. Don’t know what I was thinking!!"

As the sun was setting, I went out to again check my beautiful roses. This picture was taken with a flash.

No comments: